Thursday, April 24, 2008

Global Juice Feast Day 55!

I Love Juice!
He was a sad
And sickly lad...
In fact, a Drab Recluse.
How did he eke
His Fine Physique?
'Tis plain: ... REFRESHING JUICE.
~NH Woodchuck

Juice Feast Day 55

The Daily Juice Journal:

This morning we made 5 quarts of GVJ with celery, spinach, romaine, cilantro, carrots, yam, and apple (we ran out of cucumber!). I also made 1 quart of tomato, spinach, basil, cilantro, romaine, and garlic juice. We also made three quarts of orange and pineapple, and two quarts of grapefruit garlic

DAVID:

3 QUARTS GVJ, 2 QUARTS FRUIT.

TOTAL JUICE: 5 QUARTS JUICE

KATRINA:

3 QUARTS GVJ, 3 QUARTS FRUIT

TOTAL JUICE: 6 QUARTS JUICE

Added to juices: Vitamineral Green, kelp, flax/DHA oil, bee pollen and maca.

Also taken: Vitalzym, NCD, astragalus root tea, antioxidant extreme, Max Stress B, and water.

Your Questions:


Hi David and Katrina
I'm on day 69 of my feast, and the past 2 days I've had serious nose bleeds. I'm talking heavy bleeding for an hour or so. I've been a nose bleeder my whole life, especially as a child, but I haven't had any bad ones in quite some time. I'm not taking ALL the supplements, so I was wondering if there was one I should be taking for this. I did my re-tracing and I would be at 24 yrs old at this point in my feast. I can't remember anything that I would be detoxing at this point to cause such a thing. Any clues as to what might be happening? BTW, I haven't been able to get very many greens down in the last week or so, so my juices have been heavy on the fruit. Plus drinking my water.
Thanks!
Pixy Lisa

We Say:

Dear Pixy Lisa,

Oh no, we are so sorry that you are experiencing nose bleeds! We have never heard of nose bleeds as a form of detox. Spontaneous nose bleeds are usually a sign of a week vascular system, very dry conditions such as high altitudes or desert areas, sudden changes in atmospheric pressure, and from nutritional deficiencies, most commonly vitamin C and/or bioflavonoids. When I first moved to Patagonia, AZ, I was getting nose bleeds EVERY morning!! It was not much fun. I started taking cayenne to strengthen my vascular system, and after about a week the nose bleeds stopped. I think it was a combination of the cayenne and getting acclimated. Also, if your nose is not stopping bleeding, one possibility is that you are low in Vitamin K, which is a blood coagulant. If you haven’t been getting in many greens, which are really high in Vit K, this is certainly a possibility. Try getting in as many greens in as you can.

Here are some other things you can try:

Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and is found in watercress, dark green leafy vegetables, kale, and alfalfa. You could also try taking supplemental Vitamin K. Go to Life Extension Foundation, and look for Vitamin K2.

Nutritional therapy: 3 grams of Vitamin C when bleeding starts, and 1 gram every hour after that nose bleed continues (1 gram = 1,000 miligrams)

Squeeze contents of Vitamin E and A capsules into the nose.

Aromatherapy: lemon, lavender, cypress, frankincense

Hydrotherapy: Ice pack (apply over nose and to back of neck to stop bleeding)

Juice Therapy: Carrot, beet, with ginger or cayenne

Practical Hints: Sit down with head tipped forward. Stay in a cool room. Sit, lean forward, open mouth and breath through mouth. Pinch lower part of nose for 20 minutes, then slowly release pressure and avoid any contact or pressure with the nose. If bleeding continues after the first 20 minutes, pack nose with gauze and apply crushed ice within a cloth against the nose and cheek. Lie back, and refrain from any motion or activity for several hours.

I hope this helps and that your nose is happy, healthy and strong again very soon!

Personal Journal:

We very often get asked the question “How long does it take for me to fully detox?” or “How long do I have to Juice Feast to rid my entire body of toxins” We were talking about it today, and David commented that asking this question is a bit like calling a mechanic and saying “how long will it take to fix my car?” With out knowing what kind of car you have, how old it is, how it has been looked after, and what needs to be fixed, there is no way the mechanic can answer your question. Even then, it will have to do with availability of parts, how much you want to spend, how important your car is to you, and how far you actually want to take the repair of your car. That being said, there are some generic things that can happen while detoxing and cleansing. Read on from an answer David gave today to the question of “How long until I am done detoxing?”:

This is a great question, and I am happy you have written us with it. Just to put your question in perspective from my vantage-point: everyone is individual, so the times to completely detox vary from person to person. Also, there is healing and there is detoxification. Both take different lengths of time depending on the duration of the health challenge, or the kinds of toxins and where they are.

Intestinal bowel detox will happen in 30-92 Days for most folks, although our morbidly obese students take longer, as do some folks who have had impacted fecal matter for decades.

Heavy metal detox can take 3-6 months even with elements such as Natural Cellular Defense and Chlorella, etc.

Undigested fats and rancid fats will take 2-6 months generally, as evidenced by the disappearance of liver spots in our older students.

Liver detox can take a year or more to completely happen, including a Juice Feast, eating a nutrient-dense plant-based diet, and interspersing liver cleanses and teas.

Kidney Decalcification can take a year or two, as well, but this process is started strongly during the Juice Feast by removing the underlying causes (acidifying toxic diet with animal products) and using Chanca Piedra (Break-Stone Tea).


At just a weight loss level, the average is 1-2 lbs per day for the first 10-14 days, dropping back to 1/4 lbs per day on average for the remaining days of the Juice Feast, or until one has dropped slightly below their ideal weight (calculated as 100 lbs for the first 5 feet of height, and 5 lbs for each additional inch of height. I am 5'7", so my ideal is around 135, give or take 5 lbs).


You are right about wanting to achieve a healthy state that is not overly toxic. Remember that you are always producing toxins in your body from normal metabolic work, and from living on the planet at this time with our industrial and agrochemicals. That being said, a 30-92 Day Juice Feast is enough for most people to cleanse significantly enough to reach the point of no return, and that is what we want. Moving forward with our eyes ahead to better and better health and life realities.

We have designed the Juice Feasting Program to do just that for you, provided you follow the Days on the Program and open up to the information and the practices, etc. we have for you. 12-15 lbs of organic produce plus superfoods each day for 30-92 Days is enough to train your body and mind to ask for these foods in solid form after the Feast. We also provide information on The Four Means to Get Your Greens so that you can seamlessly transition into eating after the Feast.

I hope this is helpful. Congratulations on your journey. You are a shining light. Remember: We eat at the level at which we want to achieve. A McDonald's diet gets that level of achievement, and a living diet with superfoods gets another level of life transformation and actualization. Ask yourself what you want to achieve with your amazing potential, seek it in every way, and the amazing food you need to eat to achieve your potential will flow into your life as your true, authentic cuisine.

There you have it folks! I love the idea that we need not think so much about the food we eat, but more about the level of health and well being that we wish to actualize, and this will inform our food choices, rather than vice-versa.

We just got in from a stunning evening walk, the pecan trees are budding out in full excitement, just about to burst, and the mesquite trees are already bursting with green. We are heading into the rainy season, and the foliage is getting ready to soak up all the extra moisture for the precious trees.

Good night, sleep tight, sweet dreams, golden beams!!

Katrina and David

3 comments:

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Thanks for answering the nosebleed question in such detail. I'm drinking lots of grapefruit juice so I should be good on the Vit C. It's strange to me that when I cut my finger one day, my blood clotted in 2 seconds, but it wouldn't clot in my nose. Total weirdness. I've made it a point to drink more greens the past few days. Maybe it was just a freaky thing that happened.
Anyhow, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
XOXOXOXOXXOX
Pixy Lisa

The Garden Life said...

What time period after my feast is over (I'm thinking 60-70 days) can I get my bloodwork taken with accurate readings. I know from experience having my bloodwork done immediately after a two week juice fast that the numbers were skewed a bit.

I'd like to wait and have it done when everything is normalized and I can get a "true" reading.

Thanks

MiandO said...

Great post guys, and as always lovingly supportive and informative.
So I have some news to report and ask: Since ending the JF and eating solid foods (about a month now), I have been so bloated and gassy and reminds me of how I felt when I first went raw. Now despite this, my elimination has never been better --huge amounts of stools several times a day!:)So one would think that this would be bringing the bloating and noxious gas down, but it's not. It's as though my elimination has gotten much better but my digestion has gotten worse or at least super sluggish? Everything I put in me, whether it be something light like fruit or salad, or something cooked and more dense ( I am not doing 100% raw, more like 70 or 80), doing good combining or bad combing, juice or nuts -- EVERYTHING seems to create gas and bloating ( I look 3 months pregnant sometimes!) and SUPER noxious gas, despite all my elimination and colonics ( once a week with good cecum releases). I am feeling really gross and kind of frustrated. I know the JF was so good for me in many ways, but I feel worse post than I did pre in terms of my digestion:( I am taking probiotics and going to amp that up by a lot and see if that helps. Any other insights or suggestions?
As always big hugs and deep gratitude!
xxkyle